1000 Books Before Kindergarten
The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless! The goal is to read 1,000 books before your child starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. If you read just one book a night, you'll have read 365 books in a year. That's 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at five years of age, you have more time than you think!
This program is based on evidence that the more children (ages 0–5) hear books read to them, the more prepared they'll be to learn and enjoy reading upon reaching kindergarten.
- Ages 0-6
- Pick up a reading log booklet in the youth department.
- Prizes will be awarded to participants when they reach 500 and 1,000 books.
- This program is a work-at-your-own-pace program.
- End Date: Your child's first day of kindergarten.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who can join?
Children from birth through the start of kindergarten are invited to join.
Do we have to read books from the library?
You can read books from anywhere: your house, grandma's house, at the doctor, at daycare, etc. But we'd love to see you enjoy our books as well.
Can we count the same book more than once?
Of course! Children love repetition and reading is reading whether it's once or one thousand times!
Can I count storytime books?
Most definitely! We love seeing you at storytime and those are books that count!
How long do I have to read 1,000 books?
The program has no official end date. Don't rush, take your time and enjoy the memories you're making with your child.
Classic Tales Reading Challenge
September 1, 2020 - November 30, 2020
Read classic titles and/or retellings of classic titles. Write the titles you read on your challenge form and submit by Monday, November 30 at 9pm. One entry form per person. Those who submit challenge forms will be entered into a prize drawing.
- Challenge runs from September 1 - November 30, 2020
- Open to all ages!
- Submit completed forms by Monday, November 30 at 9pm:
- Emailing your completed challenge form (by scanning or taking a photo) to email@example.com.
- Mailing your completed challenge form to: Kearney Public Library, 2020 1st Ave, Kearney, NE 68847.