The City of Kearney has made the commitment of being a Tree City USA for the past 35 years by meeting four core standards of sound urban forestry management:
- Having an active tree board.
- Having a community tree ordinance.
- Spending at least $2 per capita on forestry.
- Celebrating Arbor Day.
By becoming a Tree City USA, Kearney is ensuring that its trees will benefit the community in many ways:
- Reduce costs for energy and erosion control.
- Cut energy consumption.
- Boost property values.
- Build stronger ties to neighborhoods and community.
- Honor community through Arbor Day celebrations, Tree City USA recognition.
- Educate people about the value of trees, and the importance of sustainable tree management.
- Increase community pride.