Itinerant Merchant shall include "transient merchant", "transient vendor", and "itinerant vendor" engaged in transacting any temporary or transient business in the City with in one locality or traveling from place to place in the sale of merchandise.

Peddler shall mean any person who shall carry and offer to sell any merchandise from place to place.

Solicitor shall mean any person traveling by foot from house to house or from street to street or from a fixed location taking orders for the sale of merchandise.

Food Truck Vendor shall mean any person offering food or beverages for sale from a cart, truck or other vehicle who has obtained an Itinerant Merchant Permit from the City.

Registration Permit Required

It is unlawful for any itinerant merchant, peddler, or solicitor, other than a solicitor doing business by appointment, to engage in any such business within the City of Kearney without first obtaining and possessing a valid registration permit.

Each peddler, solicitor or itinerant merchant must secure a personal Registration Permit. No Registration Permit shall be used at any time by any person other than the person to whom it is issued.


Each person shall complete an Application for a Registration Permit and shall present a valid driver's permit or other acceptable form of identification and file with the Kearney Police Department a written shown application signed by the applicant.  There is also a $25 application fee.

Applicants shall also provide a copy of their Nebraska Sales Tax Permit as well as their Federal Tax Identification number.


The daily and/or annual Registration Permit fee for each itinerant merchant, peddler, or solicitor is $75.00 per day per person or $500.00 annually per person. The calendar year begins January 1 and ends December 31; the annual fee shall not be pro-rated.