Face Covering Requirement for the City of Kearney
Mask Required for Entry Sign
- Businesses and establishments can print and post this Mask Required for Entry Sign.
- Las empresas y establecimientos pueden imprimir y publicar esta máscara requerida para el letrero de entrada.
On November 17, 2020, Kearney City Council unanimously passed a city-wide ordinance requiring face coverings.
To view the ordinance click here.
Any individual or entity which owns or operates any premise other than a residence, including but not limited to private and public educational institutions or school districts, shall require all individuals age five (5) and older to wear a face covering over their mouth and nose while indoors unless the individual is able to and maintains at least six (6) feet of separation at all times from anyone else who is not their household member. Face coverings will not be required if the individual:
- Is engaged in federal, state, or county government services in the location those services are provided;
- Is seated at a bar or restaurant to eat or drink, or while immediately consuming food or beverages;
- Is engaged in exercise and six (6) feet of separation can be maintained;
- Is engaged in an occupation preventing the wearing of a face covering;
- Is obtaining a service or purchasing goods or services that requires the temporary removal of the face covering during the service or the purchase;
- Is giving a speech, lecture, or broadcast to an audience so long as six (6) feet of distancing from other individuals is maintained and only while said speech, lecture, or broadcast is being delivered; or,
- Cannot otherwise wear a face covering because of a medical condition, a mental health condition, or a disability that prevents the wearing of a face covering.
Residents are not required to wear face coverings outdoors, but it is highly recommended if social distancing isn't possible. This order went into effect at 12:01 a.m. on November 23, 2020 and will extend until February 23, 2021 at 11:59 p.m., unless otherwise extended by ordinance of the City Council.
The Police Department enforcement strategy is focused on observation and visible presence, verbal notice and voluntary compliance where needed, and documentation for other officials to follow up as needed (ex. Liquor Control, Public Health, etc.). Officers also have discretion to take enforcement action as deemed appropriate, to maintain the health and safety of the community.
- Calls from citizens or businesses with complaints related to active violations of the ordinance will be directed to the Kearney Police Non-Emergency telephone number, 308-237-2104. Complaints or questions may also be received through Police 2 Citizen.
- Do not call 911 to report non-compliance with the mandate.
- Any individual or person who is found to have violated any of the provisions of the mandate shall be guilty of an infraction for each offence and subject to a fine of $25.00. Each instance of violation of the mandate may be considered as a separate offense.
- Is everyone required to wear a face covering?
- Why is a face covering important?
- How should I care for my cloth face covering?
- How long can I use a paper face covering?
- I'm not able to wear a face covering for medical condition, mental health reason, or disability. Do I need documentation about why I can't wear a face covering?