FAQs: Library & COVID-19
How long will the library be closed?
Barring unforeseen circumstances, the building is scheduled to re-open on Monday, June 15 at 9:00 am. The closure may be extended at the discretion of City leadership. Please watch the main library webpage and/or our Facebook page for updates.
- Once the library re-opens curbside service will cease and normal hours will resume.
- Limited to 25% capacity, with masks, social distancing, and limited computer times.
- If possible, one person per household should visit at a time.
- The use of self-checkout machines is encouraged.
- Until further notice:
- All library programs will be online.
- Meeting rooms and study rooms will be closed.
- Bookmobile and Interlibrary Loan services are suspended.
How does Curbside Pick-Up work?
- You need to have a library card. If you don’t, see the "I don’t have a library card. How can I get one?" question below.
- Place holds for the items you want to check out. Please note, with Curbside you are limited to 20 items per library card. Holds can be placed using our library catalog online, with our MyKPL app, or by calling the library at 308-233-3282.
- We will contact you to let you know when your items are ready, either by phone or email. Please note, you may get an automated text message notifying you that your hold is available, but please wait for staff to contact you before heading to the library. Your items will be checked out to you at the time you are contacted, in efforts to make the pick-up experience quicker.
- When you arrive outside our west doors, call 308-233-3256, and staff will bring your items out to you. Be prepared to show the staff your library card or photo I.D.
This service is available Monday–Thursday from 9:00 am–4:00 pm. It will start on Tuesday, June 2, and end on Thursday, June 11, 2020. This service may be extended if the building is unable to open on its projected re-open date of Monday, June 15, at the discretion of City leadership. Please watch the main library webpage and/or our Facebook page for updates.
When will the book drop open?
The book drop is open and we are accepting all library items. No donations will be accepted at this time. Please note that items will be quarantined before they are checked in. There will be a lag between the time you returned your item and the time it is removed from your account.
Will I be charged late fees?
No, late fees will not accrue until further notice. Please watch the main library webpage and/or our Facebook page for updates.
Are you accepting book donations?
Until further notice, we will not be accepting donations. We appreciate people thinking of us with their donations and will announce on our website and social media when we will begin to accept them again. Thank you for your patience!
I don’t have a library card. How can I get one?
- Please fill out our library card application.
- Once staff has created your card you will receive an email or phone call with your card information. This will give you access to select resources, including eBooks, eAudio, and more from our digital library.
- After we re-open, please visit the front desk with your photo I.D. and proof of address to gain access to your physical card.
I need my library card number but have misplaced my card. How can I get it?
Library staff will supply library card numbers via phone or email during the closure. Please call 308-233-3282 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with this information. Library staff will verify your personal information (such as an address, phone number, and/or birth date) before providing the card number.
Can I access your Wi-Fi?
We offer free Wi-Fi access that has been extended to reach the entire parking lot and our on-street parking spaces. Please select "library_internet." There is no password required. Please maintain safe distancing and remain in your vehicle - if you have one. Once the library re-opens, distancing guidelines will be in place within our facility.
What library resources are available from home?
We have a wide variety of digital resources available for use! If you have questions regarding these online services, please call the library at 308-233-3282.
- OverDrive / Libby: eBooks & eAudio
- RBdigital: eAudio and eMagazines
- TumbleBooks: eBooks for kids
- Freegal: music downloads & streaming
- Kanopy: film streaming
- Digital Newspapers
- Online Learning and Databases
- Universal Class: online learning
How can I contact the library staff?
- Through May 31, staff will be answering phones from 9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday through Thursday.
- From June 1–12, staff hours will be answering phones from 9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Starting Monday, June 15, we are anticipating the building to re-open and regular staff assistance to resume. Hours will return to normal: Monday–Thursday from 9:00 am–9:00 pm, Friday–Saturday from 9:00 am–5:00 pm, and Sundays from 1:00 pm–5:00 pm. We will be closed on public holidays.
The main desk phone number is 308-233-3282. You can also reach us by email at email@example.com, or through Facebook Messenger.